Pages

20 August 2010

Come away with Norah

Set the mood by pressing play.
Norah and I are on a first name basis (although her given name was Geethali Norah Jones Shankar). Her music has been a part of my life for 8 years, or since my freshman year in high school. My devotion was amplified when I travelled to Germany through Lone Star International Jazz Exchange with her jazz piano teacher from UNT who strongly encouraged her music. Her 4 albums consume 3 hours and 212.3 MB on my iPod. Each album has it's own character- completely unpredictable from the previous release. Different instruments, different themes, and sometimes a new genre. I'm a fan to say the least and I like to think of it as a healthy obsession.

Last night she performed at Red Rocks Amphitheater near Denver for myself and thousands of other devoted fans who sat patiently in a Rocky Mountain thunderstorm for her to grace the stage. Our shivering wet bodies swayed in waves to her warm voice. I can easily say that this is one of the best concerts I've ever been to


Alors, the concert has past but Norah will be joining me via iTunes and iPod in my travels as my "piece of home" item. Her songs can comfort any mood and celebrate where I've been or encourage where I'm going. Last night reminded me of that. Merci Norah.




No comments:

Post a Comment